http://www.jamesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/resp_fit.jpg 191 170 Michael Conti http://www.jamesco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Sig-JC-1-line-G.gif Michael Conti2014-03-20 12:34:272014-12-15 11:03:32Respirator use and proper fit
There are many daily jobs that required the use of a respirator to protect your lungs from hazardous atmospheres. To receive their full benefit it is important to use respirators correctly. Follow these safe work practices.
- Wear appropriate respirators to protect against adverse health effects cause by breathing air contaminated with harmful dust, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors.
- Wear respirators only is you have been trained in its safe use including prior to use fit testing and have been cleared by a licensed health care professional.
- Select the right respirator for the job. The appropriate respirator will depend on the contaminant’s to which you are exposed and the protection factor (PF) required.
- Make sure the respirator fits properly. Otherwise, the respirator will not be effective. Facial Hair will interfere with proper fit of a respirator and should be shaved where the face piece seals with your face.
- Perform field fit test each time you use a respirator. Check for a tight seal between the face piece and your face.
- If you have lung disease, heart trouble or breathing problems, consult a doctor before using a respirator.
- Do not modify the filter or face piece in any way.