James Construction begins the Elizabeth Kee Federal Building Project to renovate the offices for the Court Clerks on the first floor; renovate offices on the second floor for the Sr. Judge and staff, Magistrate Judge and staff, witness conference rooms, jury deliberation room and public corridors. The courtroom will also be renovated to raise the existing ceiling to the original historic ceiling height, and include a new functional layout by installing a new judicial bench, a new jury box, new gallery seating, and changing the judicial, jury, and witness entrances. Replacement of AHU equipment serving these areas are also included in the scope of work.
The Federal Building was built in 1911. Still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia met here until that court was abolished in 1912. It was renamed the Elizabeth Kee Federal Building in 1976. Elizabeth Kee was the first woman to be elected to the United States Congress from West Virginia.